Sunday, November 15, 2009

1st post

The reason I'm doing this is so I can keep a record of my 2nd attempt at the Alaska Ultrasport.

I finished the race in 2008 but my preparation was largely doing whatever Jeff O. told me to do. I didn't keep very good records, didn't really know the course beforehand, basically was not prepared to be self sufficient. Which was OK - because Jeff had "volunteered" to help me. Well, he talked me into doing the race and then promised my wife he'd get me to McGrath alive.

This time (2010) is different:

Jeff is racing and that is a faster pace than I can keep. I won't have a "guide" in 2010.

We had extremely good weather and trails in 2008. That was fortunate.

My pogies were $20 specials made for commuting. Need improvement there. I never got cold hands, but thats because I had some great mittens from RBH Designs.

I slept inside (Shell Lake, Puntilla, Rohn cabin, and Nikolai) last time. Fortunate timing and good planning by Jeff. I'll probably bivvy outside at least twice this time.

We had no open water or overflow last time. My foot gear will need to be better this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment